DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Experienced strategic communications and marketing professional, reaching, informing and engaging a variety of audiences with excellent editorial and commercial content.
- Editor: Write and edit for social media, press release, feature articles, newsletter and blog content.
- Visual Designer: Conceive and execute structure, style and content in an engaging form.
- Project Manager: Provide oversight for enterprise-wide change projects. Establish a set of tasks and activities associated with an intended outcome and timeline. Ensure actions are implemented to achieve the results of the project.
- Team Participant: Engage in cross-functional teams of diverse internal and external colleagues, consulting professionals and other sector professional to creatively and efficiently meet objectives.
- Media and Strategic Communications: Use innovative techniques and knowledge to build visibility and create branding to continuously improve communications and advance strategic goals.
John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Webmaster and Communications Associate, Miami, June 2002 to July 2016 Write and edit original content for the foundation to advance the foundation’s mission; create original and iterative visual and multimedia content for Knight’s digital platforms; prepare and distribute information, such as emails, newsletters and other material.
- Web producer: code and edit headlines, video and images for thousands of blog posts.
- Video producer: tape and edit video for web installation.
- Customer Relationship Manager (CRM): Edit content and build campaigns to nurture relationships with grantees and the public using a variety of solution technologies.
- Vendor manager: Maintain relationships in design and tech community and review them for potential work assignments. Manage performance, timeline, deliverables and costs.
- Webmaster: produce and management multiple sites; manage the creation and authorization associated with file systems; write programs or Practical Extraction and Reporting Language scripts required by the website.
- Public relations practitioner: represent the organization at professional organization, workgroups and seminars. Respond to media and public queries.
Knightridder.com / Knight Ridder Digital
Senior Designer, Miami, Feb. 2000 - May 2002 Designed and produced custom web sites for clients, including Miami Red Cross, Orange Bowl Festival, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce and Tropic Hunt. Produced multimedia editorial content for website for breaking and headline news, such as, hurricane tracking, events of September 11th, the Afghanistan war and coverage of Cuba.. Produced special marketing sections for advertisers such as Macy's, South Motors.
The Miami Herald
Senior Editorial Artist, April 1996 - Feb. 2000, Miami Senior editorial artist: Graphically reported many nationally-visible breaking news stories, including two plane crashes, the Versace killing, a vote-fraud conspiracy. Frequent coverage of global and local science, business and weather subjects. Proofed all graphics for department.
Allison Legal Graphics Group
Graphics Director, April 1995 - April 1996, Miami Design informative trial exhibits and animations. Review evidence with clients, recommend trial strategy. Certified as an expert witness for video.
Nihon Keizai Shimbun
Graphics and Layout Editor, Second International Section, April 1991 - March 1995, Tokyo Led redesign project of English edition of world’s largest business newspaper. Managed two. Also Design Editor, Japan Economic Almanac.
Knight-Ridder 25/43 Project
Graphics Editor, Feb. 1990 - March 1991, Boca Raton, Fla. Design newspaper business, weather and classified sections aimed at a demographic aged 25 to 43; test designs with focus groups. Implemented change; managed two.
Graphics Reporter, August 1986 - Feb. 1990, Washington, D.C. Research and report news in graphic form. Developed relationships with and edited content from outside artists. Maintained online retrieval database.
University of Florida College of Journalism & Communications
Bachelor of Science Degree in Journalism, July 1986. Major in advertising with specialization in videotex. Minor in business management. Nationally honored American Advertising Federation team. Writing, editing, video production, programming and engineering coursework.
I can speak Japanese well and can also read and converse in Spanish and Russian.
Personal and Civic
- Forest Cove HOA, President, 2010-2014 (VP, Secretary, 2004-2010).
- Board president, The Child Care Center, Miami, 2008-2011.
- Member and webmaster, Riviera Presbyterian Church, 2002-present.
- Leadership Miami program, 2005.
- Volunteer, Fairchild Tropical Garden - Volunteer, 1997-2001.
- Adult leader in Troop 941 and Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts of America.