DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Experienced strategic communications and marketing professional, reaching, informing and engaging a variety of audiences with excellent editorial and advocacy content.
- Project Manager: Organize stakeholders, plan activities and deadlines; gather resources and report goals and achievements up to superiors. Provide oversight for enterprise-wide change projects. Establish a set of tasks and activities associated with an intended outcome and timeline. Ensure actions are implemented to achieve the results of the project.
- Team Participant: Engage in cross-functional teams of diverse internal and external colleagues, consulting professionals and other sector professional to creatively and efficiently meet objectives.
- Media and Strategic Communicator: Use innovative techniques and knowledge to build visibility and create branding to continuously improve communications and advance strategic goals.
- Editor: Write and edit for social media, press release, feature articles, newsletter and blog content.
- Visual Designer: Conceive and execute structure, style and content in an engaging form.
John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Miami, June 2002 to July 2016.
Communications Associate / Webmaster
Wrote and edited original content for the foundation to advance the foundation’s mission; created original and iterative visual and multimedia content for Knight’s digital platforms; prepared and distributed information, such as emails, newsletters and other material.
- Web production: coded and edited headlines, video and images for thousands of blog posts.
- Video production: taped and edited video for web installation.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM): Edited content and built campaigns to nurture relationships with grantees and the public using a variety of solution technologies.
- Vendor management: Maintained relationships in design and tech community and reviewed them for potential work assignments. Managed performance, timeline, deliverables and costs.
- Webmaster: Produced and managed multiple sites; including content, security patches, analytics, domain names. Configured and managed servers. Liaised with support as needed.
- Public relations: Represented the organization at professional organization, workgroups and seminars. Respond to media and public queries.
KnightRidderDigital.com, Miami, February 2000 - April 2002.
Miamiherald.com Senior Designer (and 30+ other web sites)
- Designed and produced custom web sites for clients including Miami Red Cross, Orange Bowl, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Grove Art Festival. Web banners and flash media campaigns.
- Produced multimedia editorial content for website for breaking and headline news, such as hurricane tracking, 9/11 attacks, the Afghanistan war and coverage of Castro’s Cuba.
Miami Herald Publishing Company, Miami, 1996 – 2000
Senior Editorial Artist (The Miami Herald Newsroom)
Reported and executed data visualization graphics that ran daily in The Miami Herald. Planned news coverage, features and packages. Covered global and local news, science, business, weather.
Allison Legal Graphics Group, Litigation Graphics Designer, Miami, 1995 – 1996
Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Graphics and Layout Editor, Tokyo, 1991 – 1995
Knight Ridder 25/43 Project, Graphics Editor, Boca Raton, Fla., 1990 – 1991
Knight Ridder Graphics Network, Graphics Reporter, Washington D.C., 1986 – 1990
Bachelor of Science degree awarded 1986 by University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications. Major: Advertising; Minor: Business Management; Specialization: Videotext.
Elementary Spanish, Japanese and some Russian.
Personal and Civic
- Member, Toastmasters, South Miami Chapter
- Poll Worker, Miami-Dade County Elections
- Board President, The Child Care Center Inc.
- Eagle Scout and Adult Leader, Boy Scouts of America Troop 941 and Hurricane Council
- Graduate, Leadership Miami.
- Officer and Board Member, Ludlam Elementary PTA.
- Board President, Forest Cove HOA.
I currently reside in Miami with my wife and daughter.